Nothing moves at more than a snails pace in the world of doctor appointments during the summer. We had hoped to have an opinion on the potential hip replacement by now and the appointment isn't until next Tuesday (sept 6). Karen's pain has been increasing so this doesn't seem to be resolving on its own, leading us to assume the worst.
What that worst might be ranges from spontaneous breaks to full blown return of aggressive cancer. At least a PET scan is scheduled for tomorrow to learn how active the underlying cancer is, although we may not find the results of that until next week. The cancer has been very inactive for months now; the Taxol chemo working. Unfortunately the side effects have forced a halt to that therapy. So she's getting no treatment until the hip issue is resolved.
The only advice we have at present is to use extra care and don't place any weight on the hip until tests are back and treatment options sorted out. The same advice we've been following for over a month.
Our big quality of life decision this week is whether to travel five hours to Ithaca, NY for our annual reunion with college friends. Friends come from all over and we've managed to keep up the contact for 35+ years now. Karen is determined to go despite the risks of overdoing it. I'm nervous but equally determined to do whatever I can to help her do the things that make her happy and fulfilled. We know that we shouldn't constantly be guided by the worst that could happen, but it's difficult. Thank our lucky stars for great supportive friends.
Photo: William Evertson - Karen with Flower
William and Karen - Karen and I have been married for 41 years. Karen's breast cancer has reached stage 4. This is what happens next.